Monday 1 March 2010

Who are they open for?

It’s a pretty well-known fact that I don’t like shopping at any time, but I particularly hate going on Saturdays which seems to be the particular time of the week when the entire population goes too.

So, I’ve been trying to figure out why the shoppers aren’t spread out more evenly over the remaining weekdays:

The standard office hours in Australia are 9.00 AM to 5.30 PM, which are also the opening hours for shops in all the malls. Since most people are working between those hours it’s clear to me that the shops must be open for another targeted group of shoppers other than the working Australians.

So who is group? The only people I can think of are retirees and unemployed people both whom from what I read in the media they barely have money to survive...or so they tell the Government. And although I haven’t double checked the latest statistics from the Australian Bureau of Statistics, I think these two groups only make up for roughly 16% of the population.

So back to square one- who the hell are they open for?!?

I’m pretty sure that they would double their sales if they were open from say 10.00 AM to 6.30 PM instead!

I’d shop more.

No comments: