Friday 11 July 2008

Karma missing the target!

Went to grab some take-out lunch today but discovered to my horror that the restaurant that I had my mind set on was closed for renovations. So I decided to go the restaurant next door which cook similar food and really isn’t bad at all. Well, they were closed too! Don’t know why but I suspect the chef may have been too stoned- she usually smiles at me with a foggy happy smile.

At this point I was pretty irritated and couldn’t be bothered walking around the whole area for something else, so I decided to order some Indian food, ignoring the fact that I don’t really care for it at all.



I was greeted in the normal Indian fashion (referring to the accent and vocabulary) and proceeded to order rice with Beef Vindalu and Tandoori Chicken accompanied by an ice tea. I take out my wallet and the ‘curteous’ little (he was short) Indian man told me it was $16.50 plus $3.00 for the drink. I nearly fell off my chair- figuratively speaking. $16.50 for Indian take-out?!?
He noticed my hesitation and laughingly said “If you would’ve gotten two curries it would only have costed you $10, hahaha”. So I told him that he could have told me this earlier and that it would be the right thing to only charge me $10- particularly since they would not only save on the portions (since I had two curries in the one container) but also a whole serving of rice, to which he [again] laughingly responded that “haha, that is not how it works- it is not my fault...haha...”.

So I did the only honourable thing I could think of and simply told him that he was absolutely right- it was not his fault, followed by a short “kiss my ass” and a quick turn on my heels and headed towards the door. At this point I heard someone in the background yelling “Hello, Sir, Sir, No, come back Sir”. It was the owner, so I stopped. This man, who took politeness to a whole new level, spent the best part of three minutes apologising and calling his nephew many colourful and creative names (son-of-cowdung was my favourite). I was still hungry, so I interrupted him and thanked him for his apology, to which he took the food I had ordered along with the drink and a bag of Indian bread and said “$10 for you Sir, please”. I accepted!

Although I’m not vindictive by nature, I did feel very good when the laughing Mr Cow-dung got his head chewed off by his uncle the Boss. Unfortunately, I’m afraid he got the final laughter as the food was terrible and I had to make myself a sandwich.

Karma, you were so close to getting it right.

No comments: