Monday 16 March 2009

Who’s getting old?

My mom and her husband (Jan) from Sweden are visiting us for a few weeks. Kids are having a ball and Mom and Jan are really enjoying the kids too.

I have discovered that we’ve all gotten a bit older in our own ways, and as for my mom it’s all about noise and having people around her.

The other day she commented that the house was so loud and that there were a lot of shouting. I quickly reminded her that it wasn’t that long ago when I used to come and visit their house on some weekends and complain that it was loud and that everyone was shouting. She said “hmm, you’re right” and left it at that.

She also found it frustrating that people were coming in and out of the house visiting without them/us having planned for it or known about it in advance. Again, I reminded her that as kids we all simply barged into friends’ houses and started playing. My mom nodded and went silent again.

I have also discovered that I’m getting older and in some areas just like my parents.
When I as a kid asked my mom what she wanted for Christmas or for her birthday, she used to say “Good kids”. I always found that a stupid answer and considered my mom a bit of a drag for wishing that.

The sad part is that when my kids asked me what I wanted for my birthday a few weeks back I said exactly that- good kids!

What’s even sadder is that I got an iron for Christmas...and was happy about it!

No comments: