Tuesday 17 June 2008

Masters of Philisophy

I have always been a fan of quotes of great wisdom and intelligence- the type of quotes that live on forever, provokes intelligent debates, inspires and moves people, and brings immortality to the authors of such quotes.

I mean, how can you deny the pure genius of quotes such as “I am indebted to my father for living, but to my teacher for living well” (Alexander the Great), or “Anyone who keeps the ability to see beauty never grows old” (Franz Kafka), or perhaps even “From error to error, one discovers the entire truth” (Sigmund Freud), and arguably the greatest of all “In the practice of tolerance, one's enemy is the best teacher” (Dalai Lama)...really, I can go on forever!

These insightful geniuses and master philosophers have certainly earned their rightful place in history, and I think it’s time we induct yet another connoisseur of the art of philosophy into this highly esteemed hall of immortality.

I am referring to a man so great and inspiring that I once even considered trying to buy the Mad Cow virus on the black market. This oratorical master has blessed the world with more legendary quotes than what could fit on a 500Gb hard drive, so I went through the gruesome and difficult task of selcting a few that most certainly will go down in history:

“There are two places to find the truth. First God and then Fox News”
“It's not nice to talk about crazy people behind their backs”
“With all that's going on in the world these days, who among us hasn't wanted to take an axe to a priest?”
“Soul, that's a religious thing. State... church... it's unconstitutional for the United States to have a soul”
and the one I heard on tonight’s episode:

“It’s better to want something you don’t have rather than to have something you don’t want”

Truly inspiring words. Nietzsche, Pythagoras, Voltaire and Mackie- all masters of their own time, and in our time there is a new master and his name is- Denny Crane

1 comment:

Marie said...

I'd just like to say that most of us begin life suckling on a breast. If we're lucky we end life suckling on a breast. So anybody who's against breasts is against life itself."
Denny Crane