Tuesday 9 December 2008

More stress and less time with kids

When I was a kid it seemed like our parents had all the time in the world for us, and they never appeared to suffer any kind of stress.

Now when I’m a parent myself, I stress daily over the fact that I don’t feel like I have enough time to spend with my kids. When I raise my concerns over this, the standard response from people is that “younger people are so much busier these days”- bit of a cliché if you ask me.

So let’s analyse this- what are we (‘younger people’) doing today that our parents didn’t do 30 years ago? Sure, we work longer hours than they did, but for what? Material stuff? Well, yes, that is one of the reason my generation works more- regardless how stupid and soulless it may seem.

What else are we doing that take up so much more of our time and stressing us out? The short answer is that I just don’t know! Clearly we are doing something wrong...

No comments: