Monday 1 December 2008

Rotisserie Australiana

There are many things I love about Australia but the sun isn’t one of them. Well, not necessarily the sun itself but certainly the rays, or perhaps it is the lack of ozone...or a combination of both.

I went beach fishing for a few hours yesterday morning and managed yet again to get seriously sun burnt! We did have some sunscreen (although we ran out) but I find it only protects to certain point. At least I had a long sleeve shirt (at the beach?!) and a hat.

However prepared, the reflection from the ocean and wearing only shorts my face and neck along with my legs and hands now have the same colour as a cooked lobster. A man in this condition could easily lose his sense of humour when putting socks and shoes on!

This has been an ongoing problem, and one summer I decided to hide inside a beach tent where I thought I’d be safe from roasting. Unfortunately my right foot was sticking out so I ended up burning the sole of my foot- didn’t even know you could burn there!

Perhaps my pigmentation is just a little too keen as I can burn in the Australian sun in about 30 minutes. It’s actually become a bit embarrassing and somewhat of a bad joke that I’m not able to play on the beach with my kids nor go swimming for more than 10-15 minutes. Walking around in a tracksuit isn’t my idea of fun at the beach, and besides, even if I did I’d still burn my hands and feet!

A kingdom for a clear and completely waterproof sunscreen spf 10,000 I say!

No comments: