Thursday 17 April 2008

Teachers and Parents beware


Two weeks ago nine nine-year-olds at a school in the U.S. state of Georgia brought a broken steak knife, handcuffs and electrical tape to school in a plot to injure their teacher. Teachers uncovered the plot which was set to handcuff the teacher, put tape over her mouth and hit her over the head with the paperweight and possibly cut her. The students spent a week planning the attack and planned to carry it out on the day they were caught.

When I went to primary school the teachers’ union had a slogan that read “If you can read this, thank your teacher”. I think an appropriate slogan for the 21st century should probably read something like “If your teacher retires, she should thank her lucky star”.

My two older kids are now 7 and 6 years old. As a parent I am frequently required to apply appropriate punishments to kids, just like any teacher would be. Since I do not permit my kids to retaliate they are probably bottling it all up for later (or when they turn 9).

Don’t think I will be sleeping with an open door in the future.

No comments: