Friday 20 February 2009

Toaster Terrorist

The other morning while getting dressed for work I hear my eldest daughter yell from the kitchen:
“Dad, can you put plastic in the toaster?”
In my normal fatherly fashion I answered – “of course not, dummy!”

I just assumed that she and he brother were having one of their usual arguments about the world and what works or not, etc, so I didn’t think any more of it.

Three minutes later as I enter the kitchen, which had a burnt smell to it, I discovered tongs, a knife, a wooden spoon, small pieces of cheese and a bunch of napkins right next to the toaster.
Intrigued I looked inside the toaster and discovered that it was completely covered with melted cheese.

My daughter, in her infinite yet practical wisdom, decided that the quickest way to get melted cheese for her sandwich must be to put pre-sliced cheese directly into the toaster (I admit, it worked!)- at least she had removed the plastic.

Needless to say, it didn’t exactly work out as she had planned, so she immediately launched into ‘disaster cover-up mode’ and attempted to remove the melted cheese from inside the toaster, hence the tools and other objects.

Well, as you can understand that didn’t quite work either, so she resorted to her secret and most powerful weapon – “I love you dad” followed by a kiss!

Did I get angry?!? Yep, at myself for not being able to stay angry with my daughter following her cheap trick!

No comments: